ISLAMABAD: Adviser to the Prime Minister on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah Khan on Thursday categorically ruled out any deal between the government and jailed former prime minister Imran Khan, saying no agreement has been reached nor is any expected in the future.
The statement came hours after Federal Information Minister Attaullah Tarar also dismissed media reports suggesting a possible arrangement with the founder of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI).
Speaking on a current affairs programme, Sanaullah said the establishment had neither offered nor would offer any deal, adding that the government’s position remained “clear and open” — urging PTI to engage in dialogue under what he termed a “Charter of Stability for Pakistan.”
He said a “serious engagement” took place on November 24 involving Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi and PTI leaders including Asad Qaiser and Amir Dogar, but the talks failed as the PTI founder did not agree to the proposed terms. Sanaullah criticised Khan’s stance as “stubbornness,” saying the conditions set by the former premier were not workable for the government.
He reiterated that a sincere apology over the May 9 incidents remained a primary requirement for dialogue, adding that the matter had also been highlighted by the military’s media wing.
The adviser rejected suggestions that Mahmood Khan Achakzai and Raja Nasir Abbas had been formally authorised to negotiate on Khan’s behalf, claiming Achakzai had indicated he would first need permission from the PTI founder before any talks.
Sanaullah said Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had offered dialogue on three separate occasions. He also assured that Khan was receiving the best possible medical treatment in custody and could be shifted to any appropriate hospital if doctors recommended it.
The senior leader further downplayed the impact of PTI’s recently announced mobilisation drive, predicting it would fail like previous protests and sit-ins.