UNITED NATIONS: Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, has warned that Tehran would respond decisively to any military action by the United States, urging the international community to condemn recent threats by US President Donald Trump.
In a letter addressed to Antonio Guterres and the president of the United Nations Security Council, the Iranian envoy said Washington’s statements signal a real risk of military aggression that could destabilise the region and threaten international peace and security.
The letter referred to a recent social media post by Trump suggesting the United States could use military bases, including facilities located on a British-controlled island in the Indian Ocean, if Iran failed to reach a nuclear agreement with Washington.
Iravani emphasised that Iran remains committed to diplomatic engagement and addressing concerns regarding its nuclear programme on a reciprocal basis. However, he warned that in the event of any attack, all US bases, facilities and assets in the region would be considered legitimate targets under Iran’s right to self-defence.
Trump has repeatedly threatened military action against Iran, citing Tehran’s nuclear activities and its domestic crackdown on anti-government protests. On Thursday, the US president said Iran had up to 15 days to reach a deal, again indicating that military options remained under consideration if negotiations failed.
The latest tensions come after indirect talks held in Geneva between US envoys, including Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, and Iranian representatives, which officials described as showing some progress.
Earlier diplomatic efforts collapsed following Israeli strikes on Iranian targets last year, triggering a 12-day conflict that briefly involved US forces targeting Iran’s nuclear facilities.