Airspace Closure for India to Continue Until March 23, Says PAA

KARACHI: Pakistan has extended restrictions on its airspace for India-registered aircraft for another month, with the ban now continuing for nearly 10 months, aviation authorities said on Tuesday.

The Pakistan Airports Authority (PAA) issued a fresh Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), stating that Pakistan’s airspace would remain closed to all Indian-registered civil and military aircraft until March 23. The restrictions have been in place since April 23, 2025.

The move originally came amid heightened bilateral tensions following the deadly attack in Pahalgam and New Delhi’s decision to suspend the Indus Waters Treaty. Islamabad responded by closing its airspace to Indian airlines, prompting reciprocal action from India on April 30.

Tensions further escalated in May last year when India launched strikes on multiple Pakistani cities, triggering retaliatory military action by Pakistan. After several days of confrontation, the situation de-escalated following a ceasefire reportedly brokered by the United States.

Officials said the prolonged airspace closure has had a greater financial impact on Indian aviation compared to Pakistan’s airline sector.

Pakistan has previously imposed similar airspace restrictions during past crises, including the 1999 Kargil conflict and the 2019 Pulwama episode.