US Military Ready For Possible Strikes On Iran Amid Ongoing Talks

ISLAMABAD: The United States military is prepared to carry out possible strikes on Iran as early as this weekend, international media reported, citing sources familiar with the matter, as Tehran and Moscow announced fresh joint naval exercises in regional waters.

According to the report, US President Donald Trump will make the final decision on whether to launch any military action against Iran.

The development comes amid Oman-mediated indirect talks between Washington and Tehran in Geneva, with the White House confirming some progress but acknowledging that differences remained on key issues. Tehran is expected to present further details in the coming weeks.

The second round of negotiations was held on Tuesday after earlier talks collapsed last year following Israel’s attack on Iran in June, which triggered a 12-day conflict. The discussions are aimed at preventing potential US military action, while Iran has been demanding the lifting of US sanctions.

Iran has maintained that the talks should remain limited to its nuclear programme, whereas Washington has also raised concerns regarding Tehran’s ballistic missile capabilities.

Media reports indicated that the White House had been briefed on military readiness following the buildup of US air and naval assets in the Middle East region. Another report quoted a senior US official as saying that American forces deployed to the region were expected to be fully positioned by mid-March after a meeting of national security advisers in the White House Situation Room.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel on February 28 to discuss the Iran situation.

Indirect talks in Geneva involved US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner alongside Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, with Tehran agreeing to submit a written proposal addressing US concerns, officials said.

Amid diplomatic efforts, Iran announced joint naval exercises with Russia in the Sea of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean on Thursday, according to Iranian media reports. The exercises aim to enhance coordination to counter threats to maritime security and combat maritime terrorism.

Iran also issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) regarding planned rocket launches in southern areas, according to the US Federal Aviation Administration website, as tensions remain high with US naval deployments near Iranian waters.

US Vice President JD Vance has said Washington is weighing whether to continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran or consider other options.