GENEVA: Donald Trump said on Monday he would be involved “indirectly” in high-stakes talks between United States and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear programme scheduled for Tuesday in Geneva, expressing confidence that Iran was seeking an agreement.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump described the negotiations as “very important” and suggested Tehran was motivated to reach a deal following last year’s escalation, including US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
Tensions remain high ahead of the talks, with Washington deploying a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East and preparing contingency plans for a prolonged military campaign should diplomacy fail, according to US officials.
Trump said Iran had previously adopted a tough negotiating posture but had learned the consequences after US bombers targeted its nuclear infrastructure. “I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” he said, adding that he hoped Tehran would be “more reasonable.”
Prior to the June strikes, negotiations had stalled over Washington’s demand that Iran abandon uranium enrichment on its soil — a position Tehran rejects, insisting enrichment is its sovereign right.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi met the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency on Monday, saying he was in Geneva to pursue a “fair and equitable deal,” while stressing that Iran would not submit to pressure.
The UN nuclear watchdog has been urging Iran to clarify the status of its stockpile of highly enriched uranium following Israeli-US strikes and to allow inspections to resume fully at key facilities, including Natanz, Fordow and Isfahan.
Meanwhile, Iran conducted military drills in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil transit route, underscoring regional tensions as Gulf states call for diplomacy.
Despite cautious optimism, major obstacles remain. Washington has sought to broaden negotiations to include Iran’s missile programme, while Tehran insists talks should focus solely on nuclear restrictions in exchange for sanctions relief and has ruled out zero enrichment.
Speaking during a visit to Hungary, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there was an opportunity for diplomacy but cautioned that reaching an agreement would be difficult.