LONDON/ISLAMABAD: Federal Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Tuesday rejected reports suggesting any deal or special concessions for the opposition Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), terming the claims baseless and speculative.
Speaking to media representatives in London, Tarar said rumours about offering concessions to the party founded by former prime minister Imran Khan were unfounded. He also addressed concerns regarding Khan’s health, stating that the PTI founder’s eye condition had been exaggerated.
“We had a responsibility to provide proper healthcare, and that was done. His health is fine now; the issue that existed has been resolved,” the minister said, adding that medical experts had examined Khan and briefed party leaders about his condition. He urged the PTI to avoid politicising the matter.
Tarar arrived in the United Kingdom late Monday night after accompanying Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on a two-day official visit to Austria. Responding to a question, he said the prime minister had addressed a business forum attended by leading companies from both countries, highlighting investment opportunities in textiles, mines and minerals.
He said the visit would help strengthen bilateral ties and open new avenues for trade and investment. Referring to an event in Vienna, Tarar noted that the prime minister’s speech in German was warmly received by the Austrian leadership and audience.
Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi contradicted the minister’s remarks, saying the government had not fulfilled PTI’s demands regarding the incarcerated former premier.
Speaking outside the KP House in Islamabad, Afridi said the party was not seeking any medical report but wanted Khan to be allowed access to his personal physician, family members, an eye specialist and treatment at Shifa International Hospital.
“Our demands did not include any report. We asked that he be allowed access to his personal doctor, a family member, an eye specialist and treatment at Shifa International Hospital,” he said, adding that none of the demands had been accepted. He termed it the legal and constitutional right of the former prime minister to receive treatment from a doctor of his choice.
The PTI, meanwhile, announced that its sit-in protest — led by parliamentary figures and members of the opposition alliance Tehreek-e-Tahafuz-e-Ayin-e-Pakistan (TTAP) — would continue as concerns persist over Khan’s medical condition, particularly his eyesight. The protest entered its fifth consecutive day on Tuesday amid ongoing political tensions.