LONDON: The police force investigating Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has said its inquiry into alleged misconduct in public office could also examine claims of sexual misconduct during his time as a UK trade envoy.
In an update on Friday, Thames Valley Police renewed its appeal for witnesses or anyone with relevant information to come forward. The force also confirmed it had contacted lawyers representing a woman who previously alleged she was taken to an address in Windsor for sexual purposes.
The allegation, first reported by the BBC in January, claims the incident took place at Royal Lodge, the former prince’s residence, in 2010. The woman’s lawyer, Brad Edwards of the US firm Edwards Henderson, said she had been sent to Britain by the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while she was in her 20s. He further claimed that after spending a night with Mountbatten-Windsor, she was later given a tour of Buckingham Palace.
Thames Valley Police said it was aware of these reports but confirmed it has not yet spoken directly with the woman involved. The force stressed that it had reached out through her legal representative to say any complaint would be treated seriously and handled with care, sensitivity, and respect for privacy and anonymity. It also acknowledged the difficulty of coming forward and said any engagement would be led by her wishes.
This update is the first public statement from the force since Mountbatten-Windsor, the brother of King Charles III, was arrested in February at his Sandringham home in Norfolk over suspected misconduct in public office. He was released under investigation on the same day.
Mountbatten-Windsor has strongly denied all wrongdoing in relation to Jeffrey Epstein and has also rejected any suggestion of personal benefit from his role as a UK trade envoy.
Police said they are continuing to investigate multiple aspects of alleged misconduct following the release of US government documents connected to the Epstein case. Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright described the inquiry as complex, noting that misconduct in public office can cover a wide range of behaviour. He said police were encouraging anyone with information to come forward.
The update followed the UK government’s release of documents on Thursday relating to Mountbatten-Windsor’s appointment as a trade envoy in 2001. Those records indicated there was no evidence he was formally vetted for the role and suggested that Queen Elizabeth II had supported his appointment. He stepped down from the position in 2011 amid scrutiny over his association with Epstein.
Separate documents released by the US Department of Justice had previously suggested he may have shared confidential material with Epstein while serving as a trade envoy, despite rules prohibiting the sharing of sensitive commercial or political information.
Investigators have also noted concerns that public attention has focused narrowly on the alleged sharing of information, while the legal scope of misconduct in public office is broader. Under British law, it can include sexual misconduct, corruption, financial wrongdoing, wilful neglect of duty, conflicts of interest, and other forms of improper behaviour.
Thames Valley Police said it is also assisting other national forces in contacting Epstein’s victims and survivors, reiterating that its “door is always open” and that anyone with relevant information will be supported whenever they are ready to speak.