Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir held intensive negotiations with the Iranian leadership over the past 24 hours, resulting in what the Inter-Services Public Relations described as “encouraging progress towards a final understanding”, according to a statement issued on Saturday.
The military’s media wing said the engagements with Iran’s senior leadership were conducted in a “positive and constructive environment” and contributed significantly to the ongoing mediation process following the conclusion of the army chief’s visit to Tehran.
The visit took place at a crucial stage when negotiations appeared to have advanced beyond political signalling into detailed discussions over a limited interim framework involving the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, and guarantees against renewed military action.
According to the ISPR statement, “During the visit, the field marshal held high-level engagements with Iranian leadership as part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement, amidst the regional tensions that have simmered after the ceasefire on April 8, 2026.”
The discussions focused on accelerating the ongoing consultative process to support peace and stability in the region and to help reach a conclusive agreement between the concerned parties.
The statement further said that the Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan’s sincere and constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting the peaceful settlement of regional issues.
During his stay in the Iranian capital, Field Marshal Asim Munir met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Speaker of Parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
Pakistan has intensified its diplomatic outreach to break the deadlock, dispatching Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi to Tehran on Wednesday for the second time in less than a week in an effort to revive negotiations. During his earlier visit over the weekend, Naqvi also met Iran’s president, parliament speaker, and foreign minister.
Field Marshal Asim Munir had previously visited Iran for three days last month alongside Mohsin Naqvi, where he met Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and other Iranian officials. The ISPR had then described the trip as part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at de-escalation between Iran and the United States.
Over the past 48 hours, the mediation process surrounding Tehran has expanded further. Qatar also sent a negotiating delegation to the Iranian capital in coordination with the United States, while Saudi Interior Minister Abdulaziz bin Saud Al Saud held talks with Mohsin Naqvi in Tehran.
Meanwhile, an Iranian diplomat in China praised Beijing for presenting a peace initiative during the conflict “with the support of Pakistan”.
Regional diplomats have also pointed to signs of softer messaging from the United Arab Emirates in favour of de-escalation and uninterrupted maritime trade.
The latest round of diplomatic contacts is unfolding under mounting pressure from the United States and its Middle Eastern allies. US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that talks concerning Iran were in their final stages and warned that military strikes could resume if an agreement was not reached within a “limited timeframe”.
Iran, on the other hand, warned that any US attack could trigger confrontation beyond the Middle East, while also maintaining that all options remained open to prevent renewed hostilities.
A day earlier, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio praised Pakistan’s mediation efforts and described the country as Washington’s “primary interlocutor” in the negotiations.
“The primary interlocutor on this has been Pakistan and continues to be, and they’ve done an admirable job,” Rubio said in an interview with Fox News.
Rubio also referred to Field Marshal Asim Munir’s Tehran visit, stating that Washington remained in continuous contact with him at the highest levels.
“We’re in constant communication with him, and the highest levels of our government are constantly talking to him,” Rubio said.
Diplomats noted that the evolving process increasingly resembles a phased stabilisation effort rather than negotiations aimed at reaching a comprehensive settlement.