CDF Asim Munir departs for official Iran visit: security sources

ISLAMABAD: Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir departed on an official visit to Iran on Friday, according to security sources.

During the visit, the CDF is expected to discuss the ongoing US-Iran talks, regional peace and other important issues with senior Iranian officials.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio commented on Field Marshal Asim Munir’s visit to Tehran, saying the United States remained in “constant communication” with him and that senior American officials were regularly engaged with Pakistan’s military leadership. Rubio praised Pakistan for playing an “admirable” role in mediating between Washington and Tehran.

Speaking to reporters in Sweden, Rubio said Pakistan remained the primary interlocutor in efforts to secure a diplomatic understanding between the US and Iran. He added that while the US was also speaking to other countries involved in the situation, Pakistan continued to be Washington’s main channel for mediation.

Meanwhile, Tasnim News Agency reported that Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran earlier on Friday. The meeting reviewed proposals aimed at resolving disputes amid ongoing diplomatic efforts between the US and Iran.

The visit comes as Pakistan continues attempts to mediate between Washington and Tehran after plans for a second round of negotiations in Islamabad failed to materialise. The first direct US-Iran talks were held in Islamabad on April 11 and 12 following a Pakistan-brokered ceasefire on April 8. Although the talks ended without an agreement, they also avoided a breakdown.

US President Donald Trump later cancelled a planned visit by US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner for another round of talks in Islamabad. However, Trump extended the ceasefire indefinitely at the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

Pakistan has intensified diplomatic engagement to revive the stalled negotiations. Mohsin Naqvi travelled to Tehran earlier this week for the second time in less than seven days. During his previous visit, he met Iran’s president, parliament speaker and foreign minister.

Last month, Field Marshal Asim Munir also visited Iran for three days alongside Naqvi. During that trip, he met Abbas Araghchi and other Iranian officials. According to the Inter-Services Public Relations, the visit formed part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at de-escalation between Iran and the United States.

Diplomatic sources said Pakistan continued relaying messages between Tehran and Washington, but major differences remained unresolved. Key sticking points include Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, the Strait of Hormuz, missile capabilities and Tehran’s links with allied armed groups across the region.

The latest diplomatic contacts are taking place amid mounting pressure from the United States and its Middle Eastern allies. On Wednesday, President Trump said negotiations with Iran had entered their final stages and warned that military strikes could resume if no agreement was reached within a limited timeframe.

Iran, however, warned that any US attack could expand confrontation beyond the Middle East while maintaining that diplomacy remained possible to prevent renewed hostilities. Despite the deadlock, Pakistan’s Foreign Office stated at the end of April that Islamabad would continue facilitating dialogue between both sides.

During a weekly press briefing on Friday, Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi confirmed that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif would visit China from May 23 to 26, where the US-Iran conflict would also be discussed. However, he declined to confirm or deny reports regarding another high-level Pakistani delegation travelling to Iran.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had received a new proposal from the United States and was currently examining it. Speaking to state television, he reiterated Iran’s demands, including the release of frozen Iranian assets and an end to the US blockade on Iranian ports.

The Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most vital oil shipping routes, remains central to the conflict. After US and Israeli attacks on Iran on February 28, Tehran shut down the strait and later announced that vessels passing through it would face toll charges. In April, the United States blockaded Iranian ports to halt oil exports and reportedly turned back more than 30 ships departing from Iranian ports.

The ongoing conflict has raised concerns globally, with Europe and other countries seeking a swift diplomatic resolution to prevent further disruption in the Middle East and global shipping routes, which have already contributed to a worldwide fuel crisis.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth stated that no vessel could sail through the Strait of Hormuz without the permission of the US Navy.

Another major issue remains the ceasefire in Lebanon, where Israel has continued conducting strikes against Hezbollah despite the ceasefire announced in April. Iran insists that any final agreement with the US must include guarantees for Lebanon’s security against future Israeli attacks.

Iran has also demanded assurances against regime change efforts and military aggression, along with a permanent ceasefire. The United States, meanwhile, has called on Iran to stop targeting Israel and American bases in Gulf states and to end support for regional groups such as Hezbollah.

Washington has further stated that sanctions relief and the unfreezing of Iranian assets can only be considered if Tehran abandons its nuclear ambitions.