Umar Hayat sentenced to death in Sana Yousaf murder case

ISLAMABAD: A local court in the federal capital has handed down a death sentence to the main accused, Umar Hayat, in the murder case of social media influencer Sana Yousaf.

Additional Sessions Judge Afzal Majoka announced the reserved verdict and also imposed a fine of Rs2 million on the convict, according to the court ruling. Hayat was further sentenced to a total of 30 years in prison and fined Rs2.4 million, while also receiving 10 years’ imprisonment each under three separate charges.

Sana Yousaf had amassed more than 800,000 followers on TikTok, a widely used social media platform in Pakistan, where she regularly shared lip-sync videos, skincare tips, and promotional content related to beauty products.

Sana, who had turned 17 just a week before her death and had over one million followers across her social media platforms, was murdered at her residence in Islamabad on June 2, 2025.

During the previous hearing on Monday, the accused retracted his earlier confession, calling the case a “blind murder” and denying all allegations against him. Hayat told the court that he had no connection with the incident and claimed that he was in Faisalabad at the time of the murder.

The accused also alleged flaws in the investigation process, claiming that CCTV footage and witnesses were not properly presented before the court. He further maintained that his confession had been obtained under pressure and that he was denied proper legal representation during parts of the investigation.

Hayat additionally challenged the identification parade, describing it as unfair and inconsistent, and alleged that he had been falsely implicated due to pressure generated on social media. He insisted that he never confessed to the murder and claimed that all evidence presented against him had been fabricated.

Speaking to journalists after the hearing, the victim’s father praised the court’s judgment and said the judiciary had delivered justice. “We were waiting for this day for 11 months. The day has finally arrived,” he said while thanking the lawyers and media for their support.

“This decision is not just for us, but for the entire society. This is a lesson that if someone commits such a heinous act, this will be their ending,” he added.

Meanwhile, the victim’s mother also appreciated the efforts of the lawyers for presenting what she described as a strong case, saying she was happy to receive justice from a Pakistani court.

During the hearing at the district court, prosecutor Naveed Kiayani concluded his final arguments and detailed the evidence produced during the trial. He informed the court that the prosecution had presented 27 witnesses and submitted medical as well as documentary evidence on record.

The prosecutor stated that the accused had been arrested a day after the incident and was later subjected to identification proceedings. He added that doctors from PIMS had also testified before the court, while medical reports confirmed severe injuries and indicated that the firing was carried out with the intention to kill.

According to the prosecution, the victim sustained fatal injuries to her heart and lungs due to gunfire. The court was further informed that the investigation officer recovered the victim’s mobile phone, which helped investigators trace the accused’s number, while the deceased’s father identified the device from the case property.

The prosecution also submitted call records and chat screenshots that allegedly linked the accused to the crime, after which the judge directed that the recovered mobile phone be produced before the court.

It was additionally stated that the accused had attempted to dispose of evidence but was later traced through digital and investigative leads.

The prosecutor also read out the statement of the victim’s mother, Farzana Yousaf, who stated that she remained at home at the time of the incident and later witnessed developments following the crime.

According to the prosecution, eyewitnesses confirmed key details in the case, including the identification of the accused as well as descriptions of the weapon and clothing. The court was also informed that the post-mortem examination began late at night and supported the prosecution’s version of events.

The defence counsel reiterated arguments seeking relief for the accused, while earlier proceedings had included requests for strict punishment from the complainant’s lawyer. The court also heard that identification witnesses had not seen any prior images of the accused before the identification process was conducted.

After hearing the final arguments from both sides, the court reserved the verdict before ultimately announcing the judgment.